wooden vs. cement floor

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by badplayer, Oct 10, 2003.

1. badplayer

badplayer Regular Member

Big difference for this overweight old guy....when i played on cement floor even with taraflex mats..my knee hurt all week

for now, i play only wooden courts with/without mat is fine...rather not play on cement floors anymore

was told by sports veteran that playing on cement flooring will shorten my sports career by years due to injuries on the knees and ankles

hate to be selfish but i hope not everyone smarten up and crowded me out on them wooden floors.... :)

2. jayes

jayes Regular Member

Badminton specialty selling strings, grips, shuttl
    Interesting thought... For me, given the two choices of wooden or cement floor, I prefer cement floor.

3. woop.

woop. Regular Member

I'd take the properly sprung wooden option everytime.

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    if your playing on cement. Get a good pair of shoes with great cushioning.. that will lessen the impact and stress on your knees and ankles. Only if you have no choice. i do prefer wooden with taraflex.

5. woop.

woop. Regular Member

I started off playing using Nike trainers. They were court type shoes but Nike air all the same. I bounced along happily on all surfaces.

About two months ago I switched to Yonex SB89 (I think that's right) and extended workouts on very hard surfaces mean your body takes quite a hammering. Superb on good wooden floors though.

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Shb89 is a good shoe. Another one is Gosen B330. i highly reconmend them highly.

7. Rohly

Rohly Regular Member

Wooden floors definitely! I hate concrete floors with carpets on because they wreck your shoes.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    wooden floor all the way. i have played in teraflex cemented floor and also almost pure cement. wooden floor has the suspension to it that i don't think a better pair of shoes would help. helps a little bit, but i prefer good shoes + wooden floor than good shoe + cement floor... :)

9. jayes

jayes Regular Member

Badminton specialty selling strings, grips, shuttl
    Interesting read so far. I guess I am the only one who prefers cement in this forum?? :)

Anyway, I was initially badminton trained barefoot on a pure cement, part of the physical conditioning. So I guess I am used to cement. Nowadays, when playing on a non-cement surface, I miss the solid feel of cement. Once in a blue moon, I do find a cement playing hall and nostalgia sink in. ;)