Do you ever use a training racquet?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by taneepak, May 23, 2004.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Our club coach is using a badminton training racquet for coaching. It weighs about 130gm to 140gm and it looks and plays like a normal badminton racquet. Prior to this he was using a squash racquet as a badminton training racquet. He says the badminton training racquet is an ultra heavy racquet that can actually be played like a badminton racquet in a game, unlike a squash racquet which cannot play like a badminton racquet.
    Do you ever use a training racquet, or is it used only by coaches?
    The racquet is claimed to be the first of its kind and is a titanium racquet under a Hong Kong OEM.

2. shewlett

shewlett Regular Member

Being a recreational back yard player, I use wood rackets. My old Dunlop is probably close to the weight you cite for the titanium training racket. It is probably cheaper to find an old wood racket to train with than buy a brand new titanium racket for that purpose if the goal is a heavier racket for training.

3. carlol

carlol Regular Member

entreprenuer
    i havent used a training racket, coz i havent received any formal training, im just a trial and error whacker :p

but, i've seen 1 by carlton, its not bigger or heavier... this one had an extremely small rackethead, maybe just 6 inches in diameter. :eek: it must've been pretty difficult to use.

Aside from that, ive hit a few birdies and even kinda played against and old guy with a homemade training racket. That was a long time ago, and i was just a beginner. It was also the small racket head type, and he said that he made it himself. He was quite good at it, hitting almost 75% of his shots with that racket. I dunno if he was a coach or a trainer, but his age combined and his ability to use that small head racket was a sight to behold.

:D

4. nutty

nutty Regular Member

Government Officer
    I use my U Cab20 as my training racket since I normally use 2U :D

5. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Best thing to use is a heavier badminton racket, some are specially made although I have seen many squad players using squash rackets, usually for stroke practice to improve arm muscles not to actually hit the shuttle

6. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    I use my Mp-55 and it does the job^^

7. charzord

charzord Regular Member

Student
    haha...............im just wondering, why do you need a training racket? i mean, if you think about it........you lug around an extra racket, swing around with it, and when you get comfortable with that racket, you have to switch back to your normal racket!!!! isnt it unescesary (cant spell that)..............anyways, i dont have a training racket becausse i only have ONE racket for badminton...too poor =P..........and its called "victor atomic III", which i got at national sport for 34 bucks!!!!!....it pretty good and durable, withstood a heavy blow the the tip of the racket because it slipped outa my hand when i smashed :p :p

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Your wooden Dunlop racquet will one day be worth more than a titanium training racquet, despite its low tech. If I were you, I would not play with the Dunlop wooden racquet. I would put it in a wooden press and lock it up in a safe place. If you live long enough it might earn you your pension.

9. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    The RM 16 - RM 20 (US$ 4 - 5) worth of toy racquets sold on the roadside or those worth some RM 30 - RM 40 (US$7 - 10) departmental stores are good practice racquets made of steel which will work very well if you intend to strengthen your smashes, lobs, clears but you cannot handle a squash racquet.

As spoken earlier, it is quite useful as you can actually play with it, but do not expect the racquet to make you a front runner to replace Lin Dan as World #1. Also, being quite 'poor' racquet in terms of balance and weight, it is also suitable to train for technique as it will be harder to hit the sweetspot with this baby, not to mention so much heavier.

I played once with these racquets and I can say that it is truly worth a look if you want a cheap practice racquets.

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

But these toy racquets do not weigh 130-140gm, near the weight of a squash or a real badminton training racquet. Some of the students at our club were using a squash racquet for training but a squash racquet just doesn't play like a badminton racquet. They have now switched to a proper 140gm badminton training racquet. I met and saw a former Hong Kong champion (his name was Tam....) actually buying one. He told me this was what he was looking for......better than a squash racquet..

11. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Is he coach Tam K. C.?

12. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Where can one purchase a badminton training racquet in HK and how much? I know a few stores in Japan have them. In fact, Ricky get one.

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Yes, it is Tam Kai Chuen.

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

It is quite inexpensive. I am not sure how much, but it is less than HK$400. The model name is LF-Power Ti130 or Ti140 Training and it it has French sounding OEM name, long form of LF. I will be getting one sample tonight to test it out.

15. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Does it include a racquet cover for practise? Check out http://www.rs-cabin.co.jp/shop_html/item.cgi?item_id=trerake&ctg_id=komono&page=1

If it doesn't I can always make one myself :)

16. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I had a brief stint with T. K. C. ;) . The polymetric was tough but effective.

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Yes, it comes with a similar short cover, but this one looks more like a mosquitor net, which is for warming up before play. I will let you know after I try it out tonight. Playing with a 140gm racquet is no problem for me, as I used to play with racquets of this weight when I was a kid.

18. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I use an old squash racquet for flat drive drills, for muscle training. It seems counter-productive to use such a heavy racquet for match play etc, as it would throw timing in overhead strokes off completely. Not to mention the increased risk of injury.

19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

No, such training racquets are not used for normal play. You would lose all the time if you do that. However, they are used by coaches for training their charges.

20. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Can't wait for your review. I think one can play normal games with this contraction. Timing shouldn't be an issue. I have been using a squash racquet for training but the grip size is so thick that it gets in the way of using the fingers.

#20 Pete LSD, May 24, 2004
    Last edited: May 24, 2004