Need recreational players, Tuesdays, Vancouver

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by OslerPlayer, Apr 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OslerPlayer

OslerPlayer New Member

Our group plays Tuesday evenings. Our attendance has declined recently so we are looking for 5-10 players (maximum) to join us. Our skill level is recreational to intermediate. There are a couple of players who might be considered upper intermediate to advanced. We are a very friendly group and there are no egos and no cliques. We always make newcomers feel welcome.

If you plan on attending, please reply to let me know so I can have an idea of how many new people are coming. Otherwise I might end up with way too many people and then no one will get enough playing time.

When you arrive, ask for Wayne or Thien. They will be running the program while I am away for a few weeks.

WHERE:
    ------------
    Osler Elementary School (3 courts).
    From Oak Street, turn west on 43rd. Go one block, school is on left. Park in the parking lot next to basketball court.

WHEN:
    ----------
    Tuesdays, 6:45 – 9:30 PM
    Until mid-June 2005.
    Off for the summer.
    Resumes in Sept 2005 until June 2006.

COST:
    --------
    $5.00 per session.
    We supply the birds (Yonex Mavis 300 yellow plastic birds).

#1 OslerPlayer, Apr 28, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  2. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

Hi OslerPlayer,

Just a couple of quick questions...

How's high is the gym ceiling? (lots of obsticles?)

Also, how's the traction on the gym floor?

Cheers!

3. OslerPlayer

OslerPlayer New Member

Hi Break-My-String,

I don't know the height of the ceiling in feet... it's lower than the high schools and VRC but it's higher than most elementary schools I've seen. When you want to clear the bird from end to end, you don't feel like you're forced to flatten the shot out.

As for obstacles, it's pretty good. Two courts are obstacle-free and the third has a rope suspended near the ceiling that rarely interferes.

The floor is pretty good because I always sweep it TWICE myself (I don't like the way the custodian sweeps it so many years ago I asked him to just leave the broom for me so I can do it myself. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's a slippery floor).

Overall, this is the best elementary school gym I've played in. We've been playing there for 8 years and everyone is quite satisfied with it.

Hope to see you there!

4. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

OK! I'm sold.

I'm going to enter your schedule into my Palm, and when I have one of those rare moments in which I don't have any work on a Tuesday nite, I'll check it out!

Cheers!

5. egg_tart

egg_tart Regular Member

how many courts are there? and are the people young or old?

rotation fast or slow?

6. Mr.Vancouver

Mr.Vancouver Regular Member

EGG TART YOU SUCK ANYWAYS SO DONT GO TO OSLER. STEVE IS A COOL GUY AT OSLER, PLAYED WITH HIM A COUPLE OF TIMES. EGG TART SUCKS AND I SEEN HIM PLAY BEFORE ALL HE DOES IS MISS THE BIRDS AND THINKS HE'S ALL THAT :crying:

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Respect others is the #1 rule in the forum! :mad:

8. egg_tart

egg_tart Regular Member

lol....i'll crush u with my left hand

9. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    You don't sound like you are ready to work in Japan then.

10. Mr.Vancouver

Mr.Vancouver Regular Member

Egg Tart Ur A Jabroni! :d

11. Gilly23

Gilly23 Regular Member

Osler is hurting on Tuesday come on guys come! :eek:

12. jjengineer

jjengineer Regular Member

student
    $5 ...
    a bit expensive

13. world-of-dreams

world-of-dreams Regular Member

Financial Aid Worker
    I dunno about you, but I certainly didn't feel WELCOME the last time I went there since Wayne and especially Thien shafted me there. We played one doubles game and after that, Thien says he wanted to take a break when we were up and then goes on the court with Steve the whole entire night.

I don't know about you, but I was pretty PO'ed that night since he could have simply said that he didn't want to play against me again rather than make me sit there and wait looking like a total idiot.

I know I certainly won't be going there anymore and waste my time with people like them.

14. patman18

patman18 Regular Member

any room left for a couple more ppl to play ?

15. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    If what world-of-dreams said is true, then the Osler drop-in is going to dwindle for good. Yeah, new people would come check it out and maybe play for a month or so but if the organisers have bad attitudes then they will just go to elsewhere to play. When the facilities are subpar or on-par with other neighbourhood drop-ins, it's the organisers who will make or break the drop-in.

I am sure badrad, break-my-strings or speed78 would know more about most drop-in places in the lower mainland.

16. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    I'll just chime here and say that world-of-dream's experience at Osler is actually typical where there's ONE strong group at a drop-in centre, and the rest of the other players on the more recreational side.

Cliques are clique-y! :D

-dave

17. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Hmm... not sure how good Wayne or Thien is, but it's definitely not because world-of-dreams' weak:rolleyes:. It's just plain bad example for the organiser to set. They don't just lose one player/customer at a time, with internet and word-of-mouth among a small hardcore baddy community, they're losing more than one.

18. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Weak or strong, clique's will ostrasize :D

Some places I go, or rather "went" (past tense), if you're a weaker player, the strong ones don't want to play with you cause of uneven skill level and they won't get to go all out.

In the other case, if you're a strong player, then they "lose face" and you potentially get isolated either in the game, or on the bench!

The friendliest bunch I've met? Kelowna Badminton Club, and txyu, I would say.

-dave

19. yogi7

yogi7 Regular Member

It's typical and the same anywhere. I play on Fridays at South Burnaby High now. There are 8 guys there in our big group who will only play with each other. They are intermediate, fast but they make a lot of simple, stupid mistakes too. But if you happen to play with anyone of them and did the same mistakes, they wouldn't want to play with you again. They don't want to share their knowledge/tips either. What makes me play there? Well, at least there are a bunch of us who are friendlier than those guys and we don't mind losing and having a good time.

20. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Speaking from experience, Dave? :D

It's true that at almost all places, you do get cliquey groups. RBC, for example, is no exception and I've been guilty of it at times (my excuse is that I needed the execrise and only have a couple of hours to get some good games in).

Based on what world-of-dreams encountered at the Osler Tues group, it makes you wondered if drop-ins are as welcome as OslerPlayer makes it out to be. Oh well, live and learn.

As for giving advice/tips, etc. I would say that it depends. I for one, am relunctant to do so for fear of coming across as an a** who thinks he's too good. If people ask, then I've no problem in providing feedback and/or tips.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.